Recipe by Sass Smith
This recipe comes from the America's Best Recipe cookbook, although I've tweaked it a bit. Foolproof, cheesy goodness. A nice breadcrumb topping gives it some crunch for textural contrast. Note: Pre-shredded cheese does not work as well as block cheese that you shred yourself.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 12 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard, dissolved in 1 tsp water
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- For the breadcrumb topping: Mix the first three ingredients together and toast on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- For the macaroni and cheese: Bring two quarts of water to a boil; add 1 1/2 tsp salt to water and boil macaroni according to package directions. Drain and toss with butter.
- Meanwhile, while water is coming to a boil, mix eggs, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, hot sauce, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, and mustard mixture in a large bowl.
- When the noodles are drained and buttered as described above, hold over low heat and pour milk/egg mixture over noodles along with 3/4 of the shredded cheese. Stir to combine thoroughly; the cheese should begin to melt.
- Gradually add remaining evaporated milk and cheese, stirring to combine until creamy and melted, less than five minutes.
- Serve immediately, topped with toasted bread crumbs.
- This reheats quite well.