Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've made this since my kids were small and it's always been a family favorite. I serve this with buttered egg noodles tossed with poppy seeds. I'm sure it's not "authentic" but it certainly is delicious!
- 2 lbs flank steaks, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 yellow onions, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (optional)
To coat meat
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Place coating ingredients in a paper lunch bag, or a ziploc bag.
- Shake to mix the ingredients. Add the meat, a few pieces at a time until well coated.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large, heavy skillet with a lid, and bring to medium high heat. Add meat and cook until well browned. Removed from skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic to the skillet (add additional oil or butter if necessary) and saute until onions are clear. Add meat back to the pan.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT sour cream, and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium low and cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid during last five minutes of cooking.
- Stir in sour cream just before serving.
Matt and Christine made it for my family and some friends last night and it was awesome. I do not think I have ever had anything that has tasted like that before. It was very different. It's a great recipe!
This was awesome! We made it for 3 couples and two small children. Perfect with the noodles. Keep up the wonderful work! We all loved it! :D --CM