Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a unique recipe for granola as it contains no oil or honey. I like to mix this granola into yogurt for breakfast or sprinkle it over ice cream for dessert. I am sure you could make it into granola bars with the addition of some oil and honey. This recipe is from Mollie Katzen
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄3 cup coconut, shredded and unsweetened
- 2 -4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon carob powder (optional)
- Heat a large, heavy skilliet over medium heat.
- Add the oats and nuts, cook them, stirring for about 5 minutes. They will begin to get toasted.
- Add the wheat germ, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and coconut.
- Keep cooking, stirring frequently, for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the brown sugar, salt and carob powder, if using.
- Continue to cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes, or until the sugar melts slightly, coating the other particles.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to a tightly lidded jar or container for storage.