Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
The taste of lasagna without all the work.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb turkey breast tenderloin, all visible fat removed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 1 -2 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained, pureed
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Italian herb seasoning, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 dried lasagna noodles or 6 dried no-boil lasagna noodles, broken into 1 inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free ricotta cheese or 3⁄4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 teaspoons parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- Cut the chicken into 3/4-inch cubes.
- Heat a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Pout the oil into the pot and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until browned and almost cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Increase the heat to high; bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low; cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and return to a boil, uncovered.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, spoon the stew into shallow bowls.
- Top each portion with 3 tablespoons ricotta, 2 tablespoons mozzarella, and 1 teaspoon Parmesan.
This is a wonderful recipe! I made it for my bible study group and everyone raved about it...Even the children (and you know how hard they are to please). The recipe was very easy to make, it was quick and fun! I recommend this recipe to everyone!