Recipe by Sandyg61
I grew up eating my aunt's chestnut stuffing every Thanksgiving. I couldn't find a recipe that came out like hers so I created my own using StoveTop stuffing mix. You can roast and peel your own chestnuts or, they can be purchased already roasted and peeled at many oriental markets or in a jar at some supermarkets.
Top Review by mandabears
We loved this recipe. I made it for a Thanksgiving dinner and it was the winner of the stuffings.<br/>I used the whole wheat Stove-Top and did not use the mushrooms(DH is a hater). After the stuffing was done, I put in a greased 13 x 9 pan and baked it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I also used chestnuts in a pouch from an Asian food market.
- 1 (6 ounce) package Stove Top stuffing mix (turkey or chicken)
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces roasted and peeled chestnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and celery and saute over medium heat until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts and mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water and remaining margarine, bring to a boil.
- Stir in the bag of stuffing and mix well.
- Cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.