Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you love warm, sweet blueberries with fluffy dumplings on top, this is the recipe for you! This is "supposed" to serve 6, but that's only if you have very-restrained eaters. Sometimes this serves only 2 in my house!
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- cream (optional) or whipped cream (optional)
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar, water, lemon peel and juice, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add milk quickly, mixing until dry ingredients are just moistened. Drop dough by spoonfuls into simmering berries (makes six dumplings). Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Do not lift lid.
- Spoon dumplings into individual serving bowls and spoon some sauce over each. Serve warm with cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Made exactly as listed, and will make again. Would work with many different fruits.
Absolutely delicious. I made this with frozen peaches but other than that, exactly as written. The dumplings were fluffy and tender, I used less water than the recipe stated so the peach compote was thick and really coated the dumplings.
Very easy and delicious!