Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another variation on a theme - I have adapted this to my taste and it is now a one pot dish which is always a bonus !! Any combo of tinned beans can be used here successfully and sugar and syrup can be increased or decreased according to taste.
- 6 slices lean bacon, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 300 g tomato puree
- 140 g tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, heaped
- 4 tablespoons maple sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 400 g kidney beans, drained
- 400 g butter beans, drained
- 400 g soybeans, drained
- Cook bacon and onion over low heat till bacon is crispy and onion is tender in big pot.
- Stir in all other ingredients.
- Simmer on stove top for 20-30 minutes till sauce is thickened, stirring often.
This was a quick and easy way to have baked beans without having to use your oven. I made this exactly as written, except that I had to substitute navy beans for soy beans (I couldn't find canned soy beans at the store). I really liked the taste of the maple syrup in this dish, but the tomato puree and tomato paste gave it to tomatoey of a taste. I think next time I am going to substitute ketchup for either the puree or the paste and add some ground mustard. Made for April, 2009 Aussie/NZ Swap.