Recipe by Chef Heather
Give the can opener the night off! It's worth the extra effort, so make these for someone you love.
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb dried navy beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cane syrup
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crispy.
- Add the onions and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and beans to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cane syrup, brown sugar, ketchup and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook the beans for about 4 hours, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add water if needed to prevent the beans from burning.