Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very good, quick & easy recipe. They are cooked on the stove top using canned Pork and Beans, but the flavor is like you have baked them for hours. This recipe, by Glenn Manning, was found online.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans pork & beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pork & beans
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 3 teaspoons garlic, dry minced
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove and save bacon.
- Brown onion and bell pepper in bacon grease.
- Pour in beans, brown sugar, mustard, and garlic. Mix well.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke until color darkens.
- Crumble bacon and mix.
- Taste. Beans should be very sweet.
- Adjust brown sugar, Worcestershire and liquid smoke to taste.
- Simmer slowly, covered, stirring often for 30 minutes on low heat.
- The ingredients are adjustable to your taste.
What a great tasting recipe - but had to make some changes (as suggested via Chef No Cook Donna). Cut the Pork & Beans down to 53 oz can (much better than 86 oz). I had to guess at what "1 1/2 lb brown sugar" was (didn't have a scale) so I settled with using a tad bit more than 1 1/2 cups. I also added 1 TBSP molasses. MMMMM - my husband LOVED this Stove Top Baked Beans and he thought it took me forever (less than 1 hour!) It's great reheated, too.