Recipe by Dee514
This recipe was posted in reply to a beer bread "Recipe Request" on the message board. "Stout Steamed Brown Bread By Tom & Shannon West, Alaskan Brewing Co. Wow! If you like brown bread, molasses, stout, chocolate, or anything along that vein - you gotta try this. The aromas and flavors will tease your palate and leave you asking for another slice!" (Makes 6 small loaves or 1 7inch tube pan loaf)
- 2 cups alaskan stout beer
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup buckwheat flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups molasses
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 6 clean cans (16ounce vegetable cans work fine) or a 7-inch tube pan.
- Beat all ingredients in large mixing bowl on low, scraping bowl constantly (about 30 seconds).
- Fill cans about 2/3 full.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and tie tightly with kitchen twine.
- Place cans on rack in Dutch oven or steamer.
- Pour boiling water around cans to level of rack.
- Cover pot tightly.
- Keep water boiling over low heat until cake tester comes out clean (about 3 hours).
- Add additional water during steaming if necessary.
- Immediately unmold bread and enjoy with butter or cream cheese and Alaskan Stout.
- **Anybrand of"Stout" beer could be substituted in this recipe.