Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Perfect for St. Patty's Day! Leftovers are just as good if you're able to save any.
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 6 -8 lbs corned beef brisket
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- potato (optional)
- carrot (optional)
- Discard the seasoning packet from the corned beef. Rub the brown sugar over the corned beef and place in a slow cooker.
- Pour the beer over the top.
- Cook, covered, on Low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Add chopped potatoes and baby carrots, if desired, and increase the heat to High. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the corned beef is cooked to the desired doneness.
- Serve with cooked cabbage or over mashed potatoes.
This was delicious, but the corned beef was still very tough, even after all that cooking! We put the leftovers back into the crockpot and let it cook on low all night. The next day it was perfect -- tender, and so flavorful that it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. We will make it again because the flavor was so good. Next time, though, we will start the meat on low the night before and add the vegetables about four hours before we plan to serve it. We served it with Colcannon, which was the perfect accompaniment, along with onions, parsnips, and carrots that we cooked along with the beef.