Cooking Light 2003
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/4 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherry
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pearl sugar (optional)
- 1Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 cups flour, beer, and yeast in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 2Remove mixture from refrigerator; let stand 1 hour.
- 3Add 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and salt; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky). Knead in cherries and chocolate.
- 4Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.).
- 5Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Shape dough into a 9-inch round; place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°.
- 7Uncover the dough. Combine water and egg white, stirring with a whisk, and brush over dough.
- 8Sprinkle the dough with pearl sugar, if desired. Make a 1/4-inch-deep cut down the center of dough using a sharp knife.
- 9Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bread is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stout Chocolate-Cherry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 128.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 4.0 g