Recipe by karen
This is a recipe that I clipped from the newspaper. I modified it by changing the topping. The original recipe called for 1 cup of low-fat granola, but I switched it to a topping like you would find on an apple crisp. Use any type of bread. I used 2 wheat & 2 egg hamburger buns from the freezer.
Top Review by bcdevany
This was very good. Very good flavor and very moist. I had to cook it for an hour. The pears were good but a little weird. I think I may try something else next time like apples or apricots or something. That is the nice thing about this: almost any fruit will work.
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups dry bread cubes
- 16 ounces canned pears, drained and chopped
- ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8" x 8" glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Blend well.
- Add bread cubes and mix well. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Arrange place pears over bread and sprinkle entire top with cinnamon.
- Mix topping ingredients of oatmeal, brown sugar and melted butter together.
- Sprinkle over bread & pears.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.