1/4 Photos of Storm Warning Glazed Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Made this just before Tropical Storm Sandy took out our power. It is very rich, and lasted 5 days before the two of us finished it. Recipe from swirth in KAF community, who said his family adapted it from Anne Byrn's Cake Mix Doctor. I modified it slightly for personal preference. We loved this combination. I plan to try this with a silicone coffee cake Bundt form, checking doneness at 50 minutes; in that case, I will put half of the cake batter in the Bundt form, sprinkle the filling, and top with the remaining batter and when done, I will let cool for 5 minutes before releasing from form and coating with glaze while cake is still hot.
My Private Note
9x13 co ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, up to 2 tablespoons if you want an intense cinnamon taste
- 1/2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup honey
- vegetable cooking spray, for misting
- 18 1/4 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup canola oil or 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Lightly mist a 9x13 pan (or coffee cake Bundt pan) with vegetable oil spray.
- 3Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts in small bowl and set aside. Measure honey and set aside.
- 5If using Verona Assistent Original, combine all liquids (sour cream, oil, and eggs) in white 3.5 liter bowl with cake beaters first before gradually adding cake mix on low speed. Otherwise put cake ingredients in mixer bowl in order listed and blend on low speed for 1 minute to combine. Scrape down sides of bowl, increase mixer speed to medium, and beat 2 minutes, scraping down bowl sides again. Batter should look thick and well blended.
- 69x13 PAN:.
- 7If using 9x13 pan, pour all batter in pan and smooth it out. Add the filling: drizzle the honey on top of batter, then sprinkle the sugar-nut mixture evenly across top. With a dinner knife, swirl through these ingredients to blend them slightly. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 38 to 40 minutes. Cake should be golden brown (if not completely covered by filling) and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger. When done, place pan on wire rack to cool while you prepare the glaze.
- 8COFFEE CAKE BUNDT PAN:.
- 9If using silicone coffee cake Bundt form, place Bundt form on rigid cookie sheet and pour in half of the batter. Leaving 1/4-inch to 1/2 inch margin next to form's walls, drizzle honey and then sprinkle sugar-nut mixture. Then cover with remaining batter, making sure filling is sealed in by batter. Place cookie sheet with form in oven and check for doneness at 50 minutes. When done, place cookie sheet with form on wire rack for 5 minutes. Then remove cake from form onto serving plate.
- 11Place confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla in a small mixing bowl, and stir until mixture is well combined. Pour the glazed over the top of the hot cake in the 9x13 pan or drizzle over the rounded top part of the Bundt coffee cake.
- 12Allow cake to cool for 20 minutes or more before cutting into squares. This can be served warm or at room temperature. (Don't cut cake into slices until ready to serve; that will help it last the duration of the storm power outages.).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Storm Warning Glazed Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.2
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 328.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 52.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g