Recipe by MarieRynr
This delicious and refreshing salad makes good use of canned vegetables from your store cupboard. You do need to use fresh green beans, potatoes and tomatoes though. Don't even be tempted to use canned. Makes a great summer supper!
- 1 lb tiny new potatoes
- 6 eggs
- 14 ounces canned sweet red peppers
- 14 ounces canned artichoke hearts
- 14 ounces canned flageolet beans (or cannellini beans)
- 1 large romaine lettuce (or 4 little gems)
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 14 ounces canned chunk tuna in vegetable oil
- 3 1⁄2 ounces anchovies
- 8 ounces stoned black olives
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chives
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chervil
- 1⁄2 cup tarragon
For the dressing
- 2 garlic cloves
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until just tender. You may peel or not as you wish.
- Boil the eggs in another pot for 12 minutes only.
- Drain all the canned vegetables, cutting the peppers into strips and the artichoke hearts in half. Put all the vegetables in a colander and rinse under a cold tap. Drain well.
- Wash lettuce, discarding any wilted or damaged leaves. Pat dry with paper towels. Shred the leaves into the bottom of 1 or 2 large salad bowls. Trim the green onions and snip over the salad leaves.
- Slice the cucumber into 2 or 3 long slices and then cut these into 1/2 inch chunks. Put into the salad bowl(s). Quarter the tomatoes and add as well.
- Drain the tuna and flake one can into the salad bowl(s). Snip the anchovies and add half of them to the bowl(s) along with the olives. Snip in half the herbs.
- Pat dry the vegetables and add these to the salad.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and dry. Let cool. Drain, cool and peel the eggs.
- Crush the garlic into the oil for the dressing, add the vinegar and lemon juice, seasoning to taste. Mix well to a smooth emulsion.
- cut potatoes into chunks if necessary and add to the salad. Pour the dressing over and toss well to mix. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Slice the eggs into quarters and arrange them over top of the salad along with the remaining can of tuna, (drained and flaked) olives and anchovies. Snip over the remaining herbs.