Recipe by Maïté G.
This is a real Belgian recipe, there are many ways of making it, but this is one I came up with and changed it along the way. It has a rich, sweet sauce and absolutely tastes wonderful! Serve with french fries and apple sauce
Top Review by a.marston-gill
I found this recipe so easy to follow, and the resulting dish is truly wonderful, that I use it often , and also get requests to cook it again when I invite friends to dinner. It's more than just Belgian winter comfort food, it is outstanding, especially when served with Brown Belgian beer, thanks for the recipe, A M-G.
- 750 g stewing beef
- 750 ml brown beer
- 2 slices peperkoek or 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 50 g chocolate
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Glaze the onion in margarine in a large skillet.
- Add the beef and cook until it has browned.
- Add all of the beer, the beef, the chocolate and the bay leaf.
- Spread the mustard onto the slices of peperkoek or bread and place in top of the meat.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Leave to cook on low heat for at least 1 1/2 hours, but the longer it cooks the better it tastes, stir from time to time preventing it to burn. The sauce should have a pretty thick consistency.
- The leftovers of this recipe can be frozen or the recipe can easily be doubled.