1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Maïté G.'s Note:
This is a real Belgian recipe, there are many ways of making it, but this is one I came up with and changed it along the way. It has a rich, sweet sauce and absolutely tastes wonderful! Serve with french fries and apple sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Glaze the onion in margarine in a large skillet.
- 2Add the beef and cook until it has browned.
- 3Add all of the beer, the beef, the chocolate and the bay leaf.
- 4Spread the mustard onto the slices of peperkoek or bread and place in top of the meat.
- 5Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- 6Leave to cook on low heat for at least 1 1/2 hours, but the longer it cooks the better it tastes, stir from time to time preventing it to burn. The sauce should have a pretty thick consistency.
- 7The leftovers of this recipe can be frozen or the recipe can easily be doubled.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stoofvlees (Belgian Beef Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.5
- Calories from Fat 419
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 125.6 mg
- Sodium 194.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 37.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: