Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a real Belgian recipe, there are many ways of making it, but this is one I came up with and changed it along the way. It has a rich, sweet sauce and absolutely tastes wonderful! Serve with french fries and apple sauce
- Glaze the onion in margarine in a large skillet.
- Add the beef and cook until it has browned.
- Add all of the beer, the beef, the chocolate and the bay leaf.
- Spread the mustard onto the slices of peperkoek or bread and place in top of the meat.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Leave to cook on low heat for at least 1 1/2 hours, but the longer it cooks the better it tastes, stir from time to time preventing it to burn. The sauce should have a pretty thick consistency.
- The leftovers of this recipe can be frozen or the recipe can easily be doubled.
I liked the simple preparation of this meal but find the long cooking time a bit of a pain. Mine tasted a bit bitter. Next time I will add more sugar.
This recipe sounded very good, but I'm very sorry to say that we just didn't like the taste. It was too dark and strong to our liking.
This was good. I mucked it up because I didn't have enough beer so I subbed beef stock which reduced & made the final dish too salty. But the meat was tender & yummy. It iw very easy to make. I wish I had made rice or noodles to go under it.