Recipe by Chef Suz in Bekond
All good Belgiums learn to cook with beer. Its the national drink. This dish is a slow cooker for cold winter days. The meat is so tender it melts in your mouth.
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 1 lb pork stew meat
- 3 large onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can dark beer (if you have problems buying dark beer, use the darkest possible and add 1 tablespoon brown sugar)
- 3 slices of dark bread or 3 slices whole wheat bread or 3 slices seven-grain bread
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- hot mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and pork in olive oil plus one tablespoon of butter.
- Remove meat.
- Drop onions and sugar into meat drippings and saute till tender.
- Add meat back to onions and fill pan with 5 cups of water.
- Add beer.
- Spread a thick layer of mustard on each slice of bread and lay on top.
- of meat and sauce.
- Cook with a lid on top of stove for 2 hours.
- Stew mixture should cook just at the boiling point.
- Remove lid and continue to cook till liquid has reduced to half and meat is tender.
- Bread should have disolved into sauce.
- Thicken with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Serve with potatoes, rice, or Belgium (french) fries.