Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Just like the Coffee Cured Filet from Stoney River. Sounded weird when I first heard of it, but after tasting it, it tastes nothing like coffee and is an unbelievably flavorful steak. A staple in our household since perfecting the recipe!
- 4 beef tenderloin, filet
- 2 1⁄2 cups strong espresso or 2 1⁄2 cups darkest roast non-flavored coffee
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (Regular Strength)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt (or Sea Salt)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup ice
- Place all the liquid and dry ingredients into a large bowl or zip-lock bag and mix until dissolved.
- (HINT: Measure the olive oil first and then the molasses, it will slide right out of the measuring cup if you do the oil first).
- Add ice to cool the mixture.
- Add the filets and marinate at least 6 hours for best results. I like to mix them up and flip the meat every couple of hours, but not required.
- When ready to cook the steaks, heat an iron skillet or griddle as hot as you can get it and sear the outside of the steaks for a minute or two until dark and crisp on the outside, then place on the grill to cook to your wellness liking the rest of the time.
- (HINT: I recommend searing the steaks outside on a grill side burner if possible. It makes a mess of your cooktop inside otherwise.).