Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Have you used a stoneware casserole or clay pot? It's much like a casserole dish and very durable. The pot retains heat so the food tends to cook a bit more after removal from the oven. This recipe came on a recipe card I received with my new stoneware. My clay pot does not need soaking in cold water but many do for approx. 15-20 min. Check and see for yours.
- 5 -7 lbs roasting chickens
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 -4 teaspoons curry powder
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup apple, diced (optional)
- Melt butter in skillet. Saute garlic, add curry powder, tumeric to make a paste. Add onions and saute until clear. Mix with rice, raisins, walnuts, and apple.
- Prepare chicken for stuffing. Stuff with rice mixture.
- Place chicken in roaster; arrange remaining stuffing around the outside of the chicken.
- Prepare a glaze of 3 tbs butter, 1 tbs honey, and 2 tsp curry powder. Note: amount of curry varies according to taste and quality of powder.
- Glaze chicken, cover and bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes per lb of bird or until it passes your favorite test for doneness. You may want to uncover to brown during the last few minutes. *The glaze usually browns nicely with the cover on.
- *Leftovers make a great soup base.