Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Beth Hensperger; like an old-fashioned peasant loaf
1 1/2 lb loaf
- 3 tablespoons whole millet
- 1⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 3 tablespoons polenta
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup medium rye flour
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons natural bran
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gluten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fast rising yeast (1 T. plus 1 t. bread machine yeast)
- Place the millet, bulgur wheat, polenta, boiling water, honey, and butter in a bowl; let soak for 15 minutes to soften the grains, melt the butter, and cool until warm.
- Place the ingredients in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer's instructions, adding the grains and their soaking liquid as the liquid ingredients.
- Set crust on dark and program for the Basic or Whole Wheat cycle; press Start.
- When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack.
- Let cool to room temperature before slicing.