Recipe by Donna M.
The kind of cake you might expect to find at a farmers' market--old fashioned, deeply spiced, with wholesome ingredients.
Top Review by mianbao
This is very good cake. The spice combination is nice. It reminds me of gingerbread boys somehow. I cut the recipe in half to make one loaf, but followed the recipe for all ingredients and proportions. It went together very quickly and easily. Thank you very much for this recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup shredded raw carrot
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, coarsely broken
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sugars.
- Beat in eggs.
- Measure flours into a bowl.
- Add soda and spices and mix well.
- Add these dry ingredients alternately with applesauce and carrots.
- Fold in walnuts and raisins.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured tube or bundt cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 to 30 minutes, or until tests done.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and unmold.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting into thin slices.
- Serve sprinkled with confectioners sugar.
- NOTE: Cake could also be baked in two loaf pans, if desired.