Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from my hubby's mother who came from Holland. When I need comfort food I make this..
- Pile Potatoes in lg pan with a lid.
- Fill with water just to potatoes, not over them.
- Add saurkraut and top with kielbasa.
- Heat covered, on medium low heat for 2 and a half to 3 hours.
- Allow water to boil out.
- Check pot from time to time do not over cook.
- Adjust heat if needed.
- When done, there should be some moisture but no standing water.
- Turn off heat, remove meat and mash potatoes and saurkraut together.
- Add butter and mix well.
- Transfer to a dish and top with Kielbasa.
This is so delicious. Three of us polished it off in minutes. The mashed potatoes and sauerkraut combination is wonderful and the kielbasa is unbelievably tender. The only change I'd make is to use twice as much kielbasa next time.
This was really good. I might put a little caraway seed in next time only because our family thinks sauerkraut has to have caraway seed :D.
I'll be straight up: I don't eat much in the way of potatoes and sauerkraut belongs on a hot dog. (Ooops! My Archie Bunker is showing!) But because I was involved in a Dutch-themed dinner party, and this came from someone from Holland, I figured I'd give it a go. THIS WAS FANTASTIC! I got several requests for the recipe and my husband LOVED IT!! The serving bowl was literally scraped clean! Thank you TammieV