Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 6 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Do I need to ask about the nutritional value? I'm sure there is some...in the milk, egg...check those calories racking up!! I got this out of our church cookbook. I have not tried to make it YET, so I'm guessing on the prep & cook time. Please review if you make this.
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm
- 4 packages yeast
- 10 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups butter, melted & cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind, grated
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 ounces brandy
- 1 lb raisins, chopped
- 1 lb citron, chopped (optional)
- 1 lb pecans, chopped or hickory nuts
- 1⁄2 lb glace cherries, chopped
- 1 lb dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Scald milk and cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in water for 10 minutes; add to milk.
- Add 6 cups flour sifted with salt to make a soft batter.
- Let raise until double in bulk.
- Add 1 1/2 cups butter, sugar, egg yolks, lemon rind and brandy; mix thoroughly.
- Add 4 cups flour slowly, working in until the mixture loosens from the bowl.
- Now knead in the fruits and nuts, working in well.
- Divide mixture in five parts.
- Shape into loaves and place in greased pans.
- Make two rows of slashes across top of loaves.
- Let rise to double length in size.
- Bake 1 hour in 350 degree oven.
- After removing bread from oven and it has partially cooled, spoon over 1 cup melted butter, let it soak into the bread.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Put in cool storage for 2 or 3 days to mellow.