Charlotte J's Note:
Do I need to ask about the nutritional value? I'm sure there is some...in the milk, egg...check those calories racking up!! I got this out of our church cookbook. I have not tried to make it YET, so I'm guessing on the prep & cook time. Please review if you make this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water, lukewarm
- 4 packages yeast
- 10 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups butter, melted & cooled
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind, grated
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 ounces brandy
- 1 lb raisins, chopped
- 1 lb citron, chopped (optional)
- 1 lb pecans, chopped or hickory nuts
- 1/2 lb glace cherries, chopped
- 1 lb dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1Scald milk and cool to lukewarm.
- 2Dissolve yeast in water for 10 minutes; add to milk.
- 3Add 6 cups flour sifted with salt to make a soft batter.
- 4Let raise until double in bulk.
- 5Add 1 1/2 cups butter, sugar, egg yolks, lemon rind and brandy; mix thoroughly.
- 6Add 4 cups flour slowly, working in until the mixture loosens from the bowl.
- 7Now knead in the fruits and nuts, working in well.
- 8Divide mixture in five parts.
- 9Shape into loaves and place in greased pans.
- 10Make two rows of slashes across top of loaves.
- 11Let rise to double length in size.
- 12Bake 1 hour in 350 degree oven.
- 13After removing bread from oven and it has partially cooled, spoon over 1 cup melted butter, let it soak into the bread.
- 14Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 15Put in cool storage for 2 or 3 days to mellow.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stollen (German Christmas Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (4923 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3512.8
- Calories from Fat 1540
- Total Fat 171.1 g
- Saturated Fat 69.7 g
- Cholesterol 456.7 mg
- Sodium 2204.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 464.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.0 g
- Sugars 224.2 g
- Protein 50.4 g