4 hrs 30 mins
Jessie MacMillan's Note:
This was my grandmother's recipe. I don't know whether the Depression contributed to the simple ingredients, but I've learned that this recipe is unusual because it doesn't include raisins. I double the recipe and make 4 or 8 loaves. I grew up pronouncing it "stalin" (like the Russian dictator) and was well into adulthood before I heard it pronounced "shtohlin." It will always be "stalin" to me!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add yeast to lukewarm water. If using yeast cakes, allow them to soak in the water, then stir well before adding to the other wet ingredients. If using dry yeast, stir well when adding to the water and again before adding to the other wet ingredients.
- 2Combine milk, sugar, and salt.
- 3Add yeast.
- 4Stir in eggs and shortening.
- 5Add flour in stages and mix well.
- 6When dough leaves side of bowl, place on board and knead.
- 7Place in greased bowl to rise and turn once.
- 8When dough has doubled in size, punch down and allow to rise again.
- 9After second rise turn onto board and flatten out.
- 10Spread fruit onto dough and knead to distribute. The amount of fruit you use depends on how much you like it.
- 11Pat dough out into oval and spread with soft butter. Fold.
- 12Let rise again.
- 13Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F.
- 14Ice as soon as out of oven.
- 15Note: I use butter as the shortening so I skip the step of spreading the dough with soft butter.
- 16Note: I check the bread after 20 minutes in the oven; if it is brown, I cover it with foil for the final 10 minutes.
- 17Note: To check for doneness, insert a thermometer in the bottom of the bread; the bread is done if the temperature reaches 180°F.
- 18Note: My life got a whole lot easier after I got a Kitchenaid mixer. I use it to handle the mixing, then dump the dough onto the counter to knead it.
Nutritional Facts for Stollen
Serving Size: 1 (2644 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1780.3
- Calories from Fat 1062
- Total Fat 118.0 g
- Saturated Fat 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 440.0 mg
- Sodium 2539.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 160.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 100.8 g
- Protein 25.8 g