Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A quite easy to prepare stollen - for Christmas or any special occasion.
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons easy blend dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit
- 1⁄4 cup glace cherries, quartered
- 1⁄3 cup blanched almond, chopped
- 1 lemon rind
- 1 cup almond paste
- icing sugar, for decoration
- Sift flour and sugar and mix in yeast. Make a well in the middle.
- Warm the milk and butter, add egg and mix into the dry ingredients.
- Turn out dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place mix into a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot to rise - about 1 hour or until doubled.
- On a lightly floured surface place dried fruit, cherries and almonds and lemon rind. Place the dough onto the mix and knead the fruit and nut until combined.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle about 25 x 20cm.
- Roll the almond paste into a sausage shape slightly shorter than the dough. Place into the center of the dough and wrap the dough around the paste.
- Put seam side down on greased baking sheet - cover with oiled plastic wrap and leave to rise for about 40 minutes.
- Pre heat oven 190 degrees and bake for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.