Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 5 large floury potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons double cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 medium shallots, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
- In a large saucepan combine the potatoes, milk, 1 tablespoon of salt and enough cold water to just cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil over a high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain well.
- Mash the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat in 4 tablespoons of the butter and the double cream.
- Beat until the mixture is very light and fluffy.
- Season generously with salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Keep warm in an oven while you prepare the shallots.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until the shallots are softened and lightly caramalised.
- Top the mashed potatoes with the shallots and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately.