1/1 Photo of Stock from Roasted Beef Marrow Bones
4 hrs 10 mins
I have heard that roasting beef marrow bones creates a more robust beef stock, so decided to try it. After all, roasting does bring out more flavor from most foods, such as vegetables. I found this method on Simply Recipes .com. Their recipes makes 4 quarts. My store did not have that many bones!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef bones with marrow (if you also have some veal bones, add them too)
- 1/2 lb stew meat (optional)
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2 inch segments
- celery tops (handful) or 1 large celery rib, cut into 1 inch segments
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled and crushed with the side of a knife
- fresh parsley, stems and leaves (small handful)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Place bones, stew meat (if using), onions, and carrots in a roasting pan; rum everything with a little olive oil.
- 3Roast about 45 minutes, flipping bones, meat, and vegetables halfway through.
- 4Bones should be browned, not charred (if they look like they are beginning to burn, turn heat down).
- 5Remove everything and place in a large stockpot.
- 6Place roasting pan over two burners, add about a cup of hot water and scrape browned bits from bottom of pan.
- 7Pour into stockpot, then add enough water to cover bones by 2 to 3 inches; add celery, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, and peppercorns.
- 8Heat stock to a low simmer (covered), then reduce heat and almost simmer (covered) for at least 3 hours, 6-8 is better; do not stir as this will combine the fat with the stock and cause it to become cloudy.
- 9During cooking you can skim off any fat and scum from the top (the fat will solidify and can be used for cooking!).
- 10Use tongs to remove bones and vegetables.
- 11Strain stock through cheesecloth to remove all solids; let cool to room temperature.
- 12Store in the refrigerator with the fat layer intact (it protects the stock from bacteria).
- 13Remove fat if storing in the freezer; remember to leave an inch of headspace so your container does not burst in the freezer since it will expand.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stock from Roasted Beef Marrow Bones
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 20.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef bones with marrow