Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I have heard that roasting beef marrow bones creates a more robust beef stock, so decided to try it. After all, roasting does bring out more flavor from most foods, such as vegetables. I found this method on Simply Recipes .com. Their recipes makes 4 quarts. My store did not have that many bones!
- 2 lbs beef bones with marrow (if you also have some veal bones, add them too)
- 1⁄2 lb stew meat (optional)
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2 inch segments
- celery tops (handful) or 1 large celery rib, cut into 1 inch segments
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled and crushed with the side of a knife
- fresh parsley, stems and leaves (small handful)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place bones, stew meat (if using), onions, and carrots in a roasting pan; rum everything with a little olive oil.
- Roast about 45 minutes, flipping bones, meat, and vegetables halfway through.
- Bones should be browned, not charred (if they look like they are beginning to burn, turn heat down).
- Remove everything and place in a large stockpot.
- Place roasting pan over two burners, add about a cup of hot water and scrape browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Pour into stockpot, then add enough water to cover bones by 2 to 3 inches; add celery, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, and peppercorns.
- Heat stock to a low simmer (covered), then reduce heat and almost simmer (covered) for at least 3 hours, 6-8 is better; do not stir as this will combine the fat with the stock and cause it to become cloudy.
- During cooking you can skim off any fat and scum from the top (the fat will solidify and can be used for cooking!).
- Use tongs to remove bones and vegetables.
- Strain stock through cheesecloth to remove all solids; let cool to room temperature.
- Store in the refrigerator with the fat layer intact (it protects the stock from bacteria).
- Remove fat if storing in the freezer; remember to leave an inch of headspace so your container does not burst in the freezer since it will expand.