Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious and attractive layered salad. The celery and water chestnuts add a nice crunch, and the fresh Parmesan dressing with bacon/egg topping adds a wonderful flavor to the vegetables. It's important that each serving includes a portion of all the layers. Please note: the overnight chilling time is essential for flavor, and make this a great do-ahead dish. This recipe would be perfect for a ladies luncheon in the Southern U.S. region.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cups mayonnaise (real mayo is preferred over Miracle Whip)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (like SeasonAll)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- In a deep serving bowl, preferably a clear glass bowl, layer ingredients one at a time in the order given from lettuce through water chestnuts.
- Mix mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, sugar, seasoning salt and garlic powder.
- Add this mixture as the top layer in the bowl.
- Cover and chill the salad overnight.
- Before serving, top with crumbled bacon and egg slices.
Excellent salad! I brought this to a BBQ and everyone raved about it. I used 'real' mayonnaise and followed Nan's instructions to a T. Easy to make and so convenient to do ahead of time and let it chill overnight. Thanks Nan, great salad!
This recipe is similar to the one I make. The only difference is I don't measure the amounts. I just layer the ingredients so probably use a lot more of each layer. I also crumble at least 6 eggs instead of slicing only three. Then after the eggs I slice tomatoes and arrange them for another layer. I use the real bacon bits last. This recipe is one of my favorites. I also think the mayo is much better in this salad then Miracle whip. Thanks for posting it.
Have been making this for over 20 years...only difference is we add sliced or diced tomatoes to the salad with the bacon and egg toppings. A family favorite and especially good with Honey Baked Ham or other holiday meats.