Recipe by PanNan
A delicious and attractive layered salad. The celery and water chestnuts add a nice crunch, and the fresh Parmesan dressing with bacon/egg topping adds a wonderful flavor to the vegetables. It's important that each serving includes a portion of all the layers. Please note: the overnight chilling time is essential for flavor, and make this a great do-ahead dish. This recipe would be perfect for a ladies luncheon in the Southern U.S. region.
Top Review by Hey Jude
Excellent salad! I brought this to a BBQ and everyone raved about it. I used 'real' mayonnaise and followed Nan's instructions to a T. Easy to make and so convenient to do ahead of time and let it chill overnight. Thanks Nan, great salad!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cups mayonnaise (real mayo is preferred over Miracle Whip)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (like SeasonAll)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep serving bowl, preferably a clear glass bowl, layer ingredients one at a time in the order given from lettuce through water chestnuts.
- Mix mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, sugar, seasoning salt and garlic powder.
- Add this mixture as the top layer in the bowl.
- Cover and chill the salad overnight.
- Before serving, top with crumbled bacon and egg slices.