Recipe by DayJahView
I LOVE Chinese food! This recipe has two Asian Market products in it (in addition to soy sauce) that I believe make all the difference in the world. With every bite you will be making the YUM sound!
Top Review by ChefDLH
WARNING: DIRECTIONS ARE WRONG. You may end up with expensive ingredients wasted.<br/><br/>I don't like giving any bad reviews but in this case I have to to get your attention to how much time, food and dishes will be wasted if you follow these directions. The prep is well over 30 minutes. The first direction don't turn on the stove till told to is a mistake. There are two number 7s and a lot missing. When to add lemon zest and oyster sauce are not noted. The food done exactly as written was raw after 20 minutes. Either she means precook the meat and then steam on low with all this or she is missing steps. We had bought the extensive list of ingredients and was eager to try it but after an hour plus with starving family members and raw food we ended up salvaging the dish by dividing it into 2 batches and stir frying in a wok instead of layering in a skillet pan as directed. (It was hard because there was raw meat touching veggies, veggies that should be cooked longer than the meat.) It wasn't optimal as all these ingredients have varied cooking times but after the thought of wasting it all we did it. The taste after stir frying was good. The veggies and pineapple with the meat were tasty. The sauces were interestingly good but not sure when to add the two ingredients above. All in all if you start with a wok and ignore the directions it should work out better. Hopefully the chef changes the directions but until then beware.
- 16 ounces boneless beef top sirloin steaks (cut into bite size pieces)
- 20 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 carrots (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 3 cups bell peppers, sliced into bite size pieces (red, orange and yellow)
- 8 ounces water chestnuts (rinsed well and drained)
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots (rinsed well and drained)
- 1 pineapple (peeled and cubed)
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce (Panda Brand found in Asian Markets)
- 1 tablespoon black bean in garlic sauce (Found in Asian Markets)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinade Beef in Oyster Sauce Overnight in sealed Zip Lock bag or Bowl with tightly cover lid.
- Add oil to an LARGE nonstick, covered pan but do not turn on the heat until all ingredients are assembled.
- Add Garlic.
- Add Carrot on top of garlic. Do not stir.
- Add Celery on top of carrots.
- Add Peppers on top of Celery.
- Sprinkle with all granulated seasonings.
- Add Beef on top of Peppers.
- Add Water Chestnuts and Bamboo Shoots on top of Beef. Do not Stir.
- Cover and SIMMER on LOW to medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes (the wider the pan, the less time to simmer). And, use common sense and personal preference for the meat's doneness, e.g., the longer it is cooked on high heat, the tougher it will be.
- Stir ingredients and add Black Beans in Garlic Sauce and Soy Sauce.
- Stir and Simmer five minutes more covered.
- Turn off heat and toss in pineapple and spinach. Cover and let sit for two minutes longer.
- Serve over jasmine rice. Enjoy!