Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Old time soap that they cleaned with and did laundry with. No amount given so I am guessing . The directions is the exact way recipe reads.
- 2 cups lye
- 1 cup borax
- 12 cups water, warm
- 18 cups lard, lukewarm
- 1⁄2 cup ammonia
- Dissolve 2 cans lye and 1 cup borax in 12 cups warm water.
- Let stand 1 hour until lukewarm.
- Pour 18 cups grease melted to lukewarm.
- Pour lard into lye solution slowly, stirring constantly.
- Add 1/2 cup ammonia.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Let stand; cut while hard.
I am going to ask my mom who grew up in the 30's if this recipe is close to what her family made. If so I am going to make a huge batch of it. My Dad always had us wash insect bites and stings with it. He also had us bathe with it after exposure to poison ivy/oak. It worked we wouldn't get as bad of a rash,and the sooner we bathed with it the less rash we had. I am giving 3 stars for now and if it is what I am hoping then I will change it to 5 stars.