The colors in this dish are beautiful! Created for RSC 18, making a fabulous combination of vegetables that could be changed according to what you have on hand.
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms or 1 cup broccoli or 1 cup zucchini or 1 cup yellow squash
- In a bowl, combine the molasses, broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, gingerroot, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or heavy skillet. Add the vegetables and stir fry for 2 minutes until crisp tender. (A skillet may take a bit longer).
- Mix in the molasses mixture. Cook this until the sauce begins to thicken and the vegetables are coated.
Couldn't be simpler, DH loved the intense gingery sauce. We are not big fans of purple cabbage, so we would rather have increased the broccoli or added mushrooms and omitted the cabbage. The shredded carrot got lost, so I would cut the carrots in thin julienne next time for better color contrast. DH loved the ginger, but I would use less next time and increase the garlic. Next time I would also try with only 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Made for Summer Photo Tag.
Made for RSC contest and this was a tasty dish. I cut the molasses down a little but otherwise followed the instructions (I might have added a little more pepper flakes for our liking) but this went well with our meat dish. I would think you could add some shrimp or cooked chicken for a complete meal if you wanted (just keep in mind that you might want more sauce.) Thank you for posting and good luck in the contest.
What a yummy and colorful dish, I used mushrooms and broccoli. Paired with some baked salmon this was a lovlely meal this evening. It's very simple to put together too, gotta love that. :D