Top Review by Chef on the coast
These were a thumbs up at our house. Two kids went back for seconds. :) I don't like feta cheese so used colby jack. I didn't have red bell pepper and used green bell pepper from the garden. Followed everything else exactly. This was perfect for a warm summer day. Made for the August 2008 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
- 12 ounces chicken tenders
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup zesty Italian dressing
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 8 leaves leaf lettuce
- 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken tenders in half lengthwise and crosswise.
- Coat large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook and stir chicken over medium heat 3 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add Italian dressing and red pepper flakes; cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; uncover and let cool 5 minutes.
- While chicken mixture is cooling, cut pita breads in half to form pockets.
- Line each pocket with lettuce leaf.
- Spoon chicken filling into pockets; sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Note: Salad dressings offer a surprising amount of convenience in the kitchen.
- Their basic components of oil, vinegar, herbs and spices provide a ready-made marinade or seasoned oil for cooking meats and poultry.