Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A tasty stir-fry sure to satisfy your need for protein and veggies!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken (or uncooked shrimp peeled, or chicken and shrimp both)
- 1⁄2 ounce dried shiitake mushroom (reconstituted, drained, and roughly chopped)
- 8 ounces spinach (thawed and drained)
- 1 cup scallion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 16 ounces water chestnuts (sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 -3 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 -4 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 -4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 -3 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cups white rice (steamed)
- Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, and rice wine in a jar and shake vigorously. Put meat in a mixing dish and pour sauce over it, toss and coat. *** If you are doing chicken AND shrimp, place in 2 mixing bowls and divide marinating liquid. When it comes to cooking meat, cook these two items separately, as shrimp cooks much faster than chicken. ***.
- Heat wok on HIGH. Add peanut and sesame oil.
- Stir-fry ginger and garlic (45 seconds or less).
- Add meat and marinade and stir-fry until meat browns (or until shrimp turns pink.)Remove meat from wok and set aside.
- Add more oil combination if necessary.
- Stir-fry the celery, water chestnuts, peppers, and mushrooms. When tender, throw in spinach and scallions. Stir-fry for another 45 seconds.
- Add the meat mixture and drippings back into the wok. Finish the stir-fry when it is all combined.
- Season with salt, pepper, and soy sauce (or tamari) to taste.
- Remove food from hot wok and serve with steamed rice.