Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a basic Chinese vegetable stir fry that can be made with just about any vegetable that can be cooked. Lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, nappa, bok choy, green beans, asparagus (my favorite), pea pods, broccoli etc are all delicious. Just cut the vegetable properly and, if necessary, blanche before cooking. (Green beans, asparagus & broccoli need 2 - 3 minutes in boiling water).
- 1 lb zucchini or 1 lb cucumber
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or use a little light soy and cut back on the salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup wood ear mushrooms, soaked & shredded (or Chinese black mushrooms, soaked & shredded) (optional)
- cornstarch, mixed with a little water
- 3 -5 drops sesame oil (optional)
- *These are the same mushrooms used in mu shu pork.
- They are variously called tree ears or wood ears.
- Pour boiling water over them and let soak for 15 minutes.
- Remove tough stems with a knife and julienne.
- They swell up to about four times their original size when soaked so it takes very little to make 1/4 cup!
- Be sure to remove the stems because they are extremely tough.
- If using cucumber, peel and remove seeds.
- Zucchini just needs to be washed.
- Slice or julienne.
- Or cut in finger sized pieces.
- Heat oil with salt in wok or skillet over high heat; add garlic and stir for a few seconds for aroma.
- Add cucumber& wood ears; stir fry 1 minutes Stir in sauce.
- Cover& simmer 1 minutes Thicken slightly with cornstarch mixture.
- Stir in a few drops of sesame oil.
- Serve immediately.
Most excellent dish. I used zucchini and added lightly steamed brocolli. Quadrupled the sauce recipe and threw in a handful of chopped red pepper right before serving. Really good flavor. A definite keeper!
We loved this recipe. I used a variety of chopped vegetables including broccoli, carrot, onion, zucchini, asparagus and capsicum. I also added cubed tofu. It was delicious. My DD said "you cannot get a stir-fry better than this".
Outstanding!! My wife and I really enjoyed this. I will make again. It is as good as any restaurant dish and much cheaper.