Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
Flavorful side dish.
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced diagonally into 1 inch medallions
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges and separated
- hot steamed rice
- Immerse tomato into boiling water for 30-45 seconds, then plunge into ice water.
- Gently peel skin from tomato; cut in half and remove stem and seeds; coarsely chop and set aside.
- Combine chicken broth, ketchup, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, salt, vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in your wok over med-high heat and add ginger and garlic, cooking for 30-45 seconds; do not scorch.
- Add mushrooms, tomato, and green onion, and stir fry for about 1 minute before adding the chicken broth.
- Bring all to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, adding up to 1/4 cup water, if necessary, to control consistency.
- Remove food from wok and set aside.
- Add remaining tbsp of oil to the wok and heat over med-high heat; add zucchini and onion, just warm through then add 3 tbsp water, cover and steam until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add reserved mixture back to pan, along with cornstarch/water, and stir-fry until sauce boils and thickens, adding more cornstarch/water if necessary.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
This was a very nice way to cook up zucchini. I did add pork and crushed red peppers in the 8th step, cooking it before adding the zucchini and onion. We served it over jasmine rice. This could be made vegetarian very easily by subbing the chicken broth. i trippled everything to get a compete meal with leftovers. I will be fixing this again. Thank you for posting! Shirl
This sauce is sooo good and the zucchini cooked perfectly. I was tempted to use rice vinegar instead of the red wine vinegar but am glad I didn't because the sauce is delicious with its tang. A great dish for people who claim they don't like zucchini because they'll love it stir-fried! Made for the Magic Mushrooms game in the Asian forum.
Made this up along with brown rice for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks Sue! Made for PRMR.