Recipe by littleturtle
Delicious vegetarian dish. Perfect as a vegetarian main course or as a side dish to accompany meat, especially chicken. Serves 4 as part of a Chinese-style meal or 2 as a main dish.
Top Review by JOY1998
5 stars! I made some changes based on what I had at home. I used shredded carrots as I had no broccoli or jicama. I also added some fresh garlic and sesame seeds with the sesame oil. My BF said that it was "delicious". What a great way to get some healthy vegetables in your diet.
- 28.34 g dried Chinese mushrooms (donggu or doong gwoo, similar to Japanese shittake but more earthy and smoky)
- 70.87 g broccoli florets, cut through their stems into thin slices (1 cup)
- 453.59 g napa cabbage or 453.59 g kale
- 56.69 g jicama, peeled & cut into 2-inch-by-1/4-inch strips
- 56.69 g bamboo shoots, drained rinsed & finely shredded
- 14.79 ml peanut oil or 14.79 ml bacon fat
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- water (if needed)
- 7.39 ml sesame oil
- 9.85 ml rice wine or 9.85 ml dry sherry
- 19.71 ml light soy sauce
- 9.85 ml dark soy sauce
- 4.92 ml hawaiian salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Soak the mushrooms in hot water until they soften (15-20 minutes).
- Rinse under cold running water to remove any sand and squeeze out excess water to drain.
- With a sharp knife, remove the stems & discard.
- Finely shred the caps; set aside.
- Blanch broccoli in boiling water and drain.
- Chop cabbage into long shreds, about 1/4-inch wide.
- Preheat wok or large skillet over high heat until it is hot.
- Add oil, wait until the oil gets very hot, almost smoking (the vegetables should sizzle during the entire cooking time); add ginger and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms, broccoli, cabbage, jicama, and bamboo, and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce and continue to stir-fry until broccoli and cabbage are tender (3 minutes), adding about a tablespoon of water, if needed, to keep moist.
- Spoon onto a platter, sprinkle with sesame oil, and serve immediately.