Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The chicken is stir-fired first with a nice coating, so it's crispy brown. You can substitute green pepper or other vegetables. You can also adjust the sauce to sweetness or sourness to your taste.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (10 ounce) can pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cut chicken into 1" chunks. In a bowl, combine the chicken with the egg white, salt and cornstarch. Stir to coat the chicken evenly. Let sit for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Cut peppers into 1" chunks.
- Whisk together the reserved pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup, salt, and brown sugar.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat until a bead of water instantly sizzles and evaporates. Pan must be very hot. Pour in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and swirl to coat.
- Add the chicken and stir fry till browned and no longer pink inside, about 2 - 3 minutes. Dish out the chicken onto a clean plate.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the bell pepper chunks and ginger. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the pineapple chunks and the sweet and sour sauce. Turn the heat to high and when the sauce is simmering, add the chicken pieces back to pan. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.