Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This makes a great vegetarian side dish or even a main dish. Lots of flavor and texture here, with crunchy cashews and saute-crisp peppers. Nice flavor balance with the balsamic vinegar, mirin, and hoisin sauce.
- 1 lb boneless steak
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (don't use olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 6 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the steak into thin slices, trimming any excess fat.
- Place the meat in a bowl and cover with the soy sauce,mirin, vinegar, and 1 tablespoons of the ginger. Toss to make sure the meat is covered on both sides. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minute or, refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat half the oil over high heat.
- Add half the garlic,half of the remaining ginger, and all of the steak strips.
- Cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minute.
- Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Put the remaining oil into the wok. Add the bell pepper, scallions and remaining garlic and cook, stirring frequently, about 4 minute.
- Return the steak strips to the wok and cook another 2 to 3 minute or until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cashews during the last minute of cooking.
- Remove the mixture to a serving platter.
- Add the hoisin sauce to the hot wok and stir in the reserved marinade and the water, stirring well to create a smooth sauce.
- Let simmer about 3 min., or until thickened. Spoon the sauce over the meat and vegetables and serve immediately.