"Spinach has often been regarded with disdain in the west, probably because it is usually overcooked. This is a delicious, time-honored, southern Chinese recipe. The spinach is quickly stir-fried and then seasoned. It is very simple to prepare." Ken Hom from CHINESE COOKING. (We halved this recipe last night and enjoyed it hot with Mr. Hom's FISH IN HOT AND SOUR SAUCE. Wonderful!)
- Wash the spinach thoroughly.
- Remove all stems leaving just the leaves.
- Heat the wok (or large frying pan) until it is VERY hot.
- Add the oil.
- When the oil it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic and salt.
- Stir-fry both for 10 seconds.
- Add the spinach and stir-fry for about 2 minutes to coat the spinach leaves thoroughly with the oil, garlic and salt.
- When the spinach has wilted to about one-third of its original size, add the sugar.
- Continue to stir-fry for another 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and pour off any excess liquid.
- Serve hot or cold.