Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "This Can't Be Tofu!" by Deborah Madison. Can be made without fish for a vegetarian dish.
- 1 (12 -15 ounce) carton firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 lb fresh cod, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3⁄4 cup roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced
- 4 lemon wedges
- Cut both the tofu and cod into pieces about 1.5 inches long and .5 inch thick. Place tofu in one bowl and cod in another.
- Divide next seven ingredients between the two bowls and toss gently. Take care not to break the tofu.
- Heat half of oil in a wide, ninstick skillet. When hot, add tofu and fry over medium-high heat until golden and crispy, 8-10 mninutes. Turn so that all surfaces have a chance to color. When done, sprinkle with salt, remove to a plate, and cover to keep warm. Return pan to the heat.
- Add remaining oil, add the peanuts and cod, and cook over high heat until cod is barely cooked, about 3 minutes. Return the tofu to the pan, add the scallions, and cook 1 minute more. Season with salt, then slide the tofu and fish onto a platter and garnish with lemon wedges if desired.