Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Adapted from About.com. For the vegan option, use water or vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch julienne and then in 1/2-inch diagonal lengths (about 4 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 navel orange, zest of, cut julienne
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste with garlic (or more)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion top
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth or 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet that has a cover. Add orange zest, garlic, ginger, and chili paste and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add sweet potatoes and stir-fry until coated, about 30 seconds.
- Re-stir sauce and add to sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then cook, covered, over moderate heat until sweet potatoes are tender but not soft, 10 - 12 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to sweet potatoes, stirring until thickened. Stir in scallions.
I halved the recipe and enjoyed the dish. I was wishing the glaze had been more concentrated and stuck to the sweet potatoes more, but enjoyed the flavor! Thanks for posting!
I made a half a recipe of this, so maybe I messed up the proportions, but I didn't like it very much. There weren't enough different flavors or textures for me. I don't think I'll be making this again.
Absolutely amazing! We LOVED the combination of flavors, they were very balanced. The ginger and soy was new for us on sweet potatoes, but worked perfectly. I only used 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, but I am sure it would also be good with the stated amount. This was different and YUMMY!