Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Made with green/white cabbage but try napa cooking for a shorter time. This has the perfect heat and sweetness. I used this side as a bed for Flounder Fillets Grilled in Foil With an Asian Touch to make a delish low carb meal. This is a good for you food that no one should be without. It has wonderful benefits for the body. Having phytonutrients it helps to protect the body from free radicals. It may lower the incidence of cancer, in the lung, stomach, colon and prostate. Cabbage is a muscle builder, blood cleanser and eye strengthener. Cabbage is rich in vitamin C, iron and sulfur.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (1 teaspoon grated)
- 3 garlic cloves (1 tablespoon)
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, rough chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hoisin sauce (to taste)
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large hot pan or wok add oils to coat bottom.
- Add pepper flakes, sesame seeds, ginger and garlic stir to coat and mis together.
- Add cabbage cook 5 minutes over medium high heat stirring all the while.
- The cabbage will release water so no need to add liquids.
- Add bell pepper and scallions cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and stir in soy sauce cook for 4 more minutes or till your desired tenderness.
- Place on a serving platter sprinkle with hoisin sauce, scallions, and sesame seeds.
Really delicious! I love cabbage and this recipe is another reason to always have it on hand. Such a simple recipe that cooks up nice and quick and the the biggest bonus is it's healthy to boot. I'm looking forward to making it often. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Super quick dish!! I used napa cabbage and will probably make this again with regular. The DH said all the flavors were well balanced. I served with a side of noodles and he ate all of this...the napa cabbage reduced down quite a bit and was probably enough for two large servings - well at least in this house. Lovely dish, Rita!! Thanks!! Made for Veg*n Swap 26!!
This dish was quick and easy. The portions mentioned make for about half a head of cabbage, and about 2 generous servings. Next time I'll double and use the whole head of cabbage. Subbed Pad Thai sauce and omitted the red bell pepper, and worked just fine.