Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is an easy stir-fried vegetable dish that can be prepared ahead. My DH and I love its flavor and the cayenne pepper gives it a nice "kick"! Originally from the Time-Life Foods of the World Series, The Cooking of China.
Top Review by Chef Katfairykats
This was pretty easy to make but it really didn't have enough flavor for me. It was peppery hot but just no flavor. Cabbage doesn't have much flavor I guess, so it might have been my expectations. Thank you for posting, Leslie!
- 1 lb Chinese cabbage or 1 lb bok choy or 1 lb green cabbage
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon flavorless vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- With a sharp knife, trim the top leaves of the cabbage and wash them.
- Cut the cabbage into 1 by 2 inch pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar,vinegar,soy sauce,salt, and cayenne pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the oil, swirl it in the pan, and heat for about another 30 seconds.
- Turn the heat down to moderate, add the cabbage, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Make sure all the cabbage is coated with the oil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soy-vinegar mixture.
- Transfer the cabbage to a serving platter and let cool to lukewarm before serving.
- May be served chilled, if you prefer.