A delicious stir fry shrimp dish that is very popular in Chinese restaurants. Recipe courtesy Stuart Chang Berman.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled & deveined (21-25 per pound)
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh water chestnut
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1Butter fly the shrimp by cutting along the backside, but not all the way through.
- 2Place the shrimp in a bowl and add the egg white, cornstarch and 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.
- 3Mix well.
- 4The consistency should be silky and the color milky.
- 5In a large wok, heat 2 cups of the oil to 280 °.
- 6Turn the shrimp gently in the poaching oil. When they are white and fluffy, remove them with a stainless steel strainer.
- 7Place the cooked shrimp in a colander to drain.
- 8In a small saucepan, mix the chicken broth, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sherry, garlic, ginger, sugar, and chili paste.
- 9Stir well.
- 10Bring the garlic sauce to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer.
- 11In a clean wok, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil to smoking.
- 12Add the sliced water chestnuts and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- 13Add the garlic sauce, stir, and bring to a boil.
- 14Mix together the cornstarch and cold water and stir the mixture into the wok and bring to a boil.
- 15Stir until thickened and add the shrimp.
- 16Toss and stir 3 times until well coated.
- 17Stir in the sliced scallions and serve.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stir Fried Shrimp in Garlic Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1307.1
- Calories from Fat 1031
- Total Fat 114.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 1160.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 26.9 g