Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Vegetarian Times Magizine..These are simply delicious!
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons thai chili sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, devided
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 1 lb bok choy, cut into 11/2 pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- Whisk together cornstarch and 1 tsp.water in bowl.
- Whisk in soy sauce, ginger, chile sauce, garlic and sesame oil.
- Heat 1 Tbs. canola oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Stir-fry tofu7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add 1 Tbs. oil to pan.
- Stir-fry bok choy 4 minutes, transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pan.
- Stir-fry mushrooms 2 minutes or until tender.
- Return tofu and bok choy to pan.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture and stir-fry 1 minute until hot.
What a wonderful stir-fry! I loved the combination of flavors! I dry-fried the tofu using this method: Recipe #415903 while mixing up a double batch of the sauce. Then I let the tofu marinate in the sauce while I steamed the bok choy and sauteed the mushrooms. I used button mushrooms since I had them on hand, but I can't wait to try this again with shitake mushrooms because I know it will be even better! I also subbed Braggs Liquid Aminos for the soy sauce (and used extra). My husband loved this, and his friend who doesn't normally like tofu tried it and declared that it was "officially good." That's the highest possible compliment. Recipenapped for Veg*an Swap, March 2010.
Yummy this is so delicious! A little on the spicy side for me but very tasty and my husband loved it! I wish I'd doubled the recipe. It seems like it only makes enough for two or three servings. Next time I'll double recipe and also make some steamed rice as a side dish :) Be sure to drain the tofu well. . .I didn't drain it completely so when I put the cubes of tofu into the fry pan, the oil reacted with the water in the tofu! Needless to say, there was a huge splatter of oil on my stove. Be careful and don't do what I did ;) I highly recommend this recipe.
Very good recipe, however way too salty, even using low-sodium. Cut the soy sauce in half. Less salty, and this would be five stars.