Frozen scallops are acceptable for dish if fresh are not available. Remove the shells first if you are using fresh in the Chinese dish. Cook time includes 20-minute standing time. From Ethnic Cuisine.
- 8 ounces shucked scallops
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus spears
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 ounces canned bamboo shoots, drained, rinsed, and julienned or 2 ounces fresh bamboo shoots, boiled in water for 30 minutes, drained and julienned
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 4 slices fresh gingerroot
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Sprinkle the scallops with half the salt. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Trim the asparagus, discarding the tough ends. Cut into 2-inch pieces and blanch in a large pan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a preheated wok or deep pan over high heat. Add the scallops and stir-fry 30 seconds. Remove, drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the wok or pan over high heat. Add the ginger and stir-fry until fragrant. Return the scallops and vegetables to the pan and add the pepper, rice wine, and stock. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes, then toss through the sesame oil and serve immediately.
*reviewed for Aussie Forum Recipe Swap Oct 09* Loved the fresh asparagus and carrot along with the scallops. Good clear instructions and a breeze to cook. I served with some steamed rice on the side. Just personal preference that I would have liked a little more sauce for the rice. The flavours worked well with the scallops. Photo also to be posted :)