Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Frozen scallops are acceptable for dish if fresh are not available. Remove the shells first if you are using fresh in the Chinese dish. Cook time includes 20-minute standing time. From Ethnic Cuisine.
Top Review by **Jubes**
*reviewed for Aussie Forum Recipe Swap Oct 09* Loved the fresh asparagus and carrot along with the scallops. Good clear instructions and a breeze to cook. I served with some steamed rice on the side. Just personal preference that I would have liked a little more sauce for the rice. The flavours worked well with the scallops. Photo also to be posted :)
- 8 ounces shucked scallops
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus spears
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 ounces canned bamboo shoots, drained, rinsed, and julienned or 2 ounces fresh bamboo shoots, boiled in water for 30 minutes, drained and julienned
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 4 slices fresh gingerroot
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the scallops with half the salt. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Trim the asparagus, discarding the tough ends. Cut into 2-inch pieces and blanch in a large pan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a preheated wok or deep pan over high heat. Add the scallops and stir-fry 30 seconds. Remove, drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the wok or pan over high heat. Add the ginger and stir-fry until fragrant. Return the scallops and vegetables to the pan and add the pepper, rice wine, and stock. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes, then toss through the sesame oil and serve immediately.