Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the Feb/March 2006 Fine Cooking. I am posting it so that I don't lose it!
Make and share this Stir-Fried Noodles With Chicken, Mushrooms & Green Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces wide rice noodles (pad thai)
- 4 ounces green beans, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch thick slices (to yield 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 skinless chicken breast half (6-7 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon serrano chili, minced (red or green)
- 2 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced (white or cremini)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chicken broth or 1 -2 tablespoon water, if needed
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
- Soak the rice noodles (pad thai) in a bowl of very warm (110F) water until they're pilable but still rather firm, about 30 minutes. Drain in a colander - no need to pat dry. Meanwhile prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and blanch until crisp-tender, 30-60 seconds. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Ounce the noodles are drainedm, heat the oil in large (12 inch) skillet or stir-fry pan over high heat until very hot. Add the garlic, stir and immediately add the chicken. Season with the salt and stir-fry until the chicken is partially cooked, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, ginger, sugar and chile and stir to combine.
- Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until they're limp, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the blanched green beans and noodles and stir-fry until the noodles are tender, about 1 minute. If they're too firm, add 1 tablespoon of broth or water and stir-fry until the liquid is absorbed and the noodles are tender, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a platter or plates and garnish with the basil and mint.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.