Recipe by AmandaInOz
From the SMEG cookbook. The white wine can be replaced with chicken stock, and if you can't find sambal oelek, you can substitute with chili paste.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
Very spicy! Over time these start to burn your mouth and fingers, but terrific flavor for people who don't mind lots of heat. I had to use coriander leaf since I didn't have the root. My mussels were fresh and were done in less than 10 minutes. Fun to eat but messy so don't try this on a first date!
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander root, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
- 2 cups white wine
- 4 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a wok, and stir-fry the sambal, garlic and coriander over medium heat until the flavours blend well.
- Add the soy sauce and wine. Stir.
- Add the mussels, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the mussels open. Discard any mussels that remain closed. Stir in basil and remove from heat.
- Arrange mussels on a platter or in a shallow bowl. Pour sauce over them. Serve with rice or a salad.