This is a very versatile vegetable dish that can be served over pasta or rice. The recipe calls for fresh mushrooms; however, it's equally good with dried shitake that have been reconstituted. This is from The New American Diet Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into flowerets
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- cooked rice or pasta
- In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine or butter and add onions, saute 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir for 5 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in wok and add broccoli and garlic, cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the drained water chestnuts and cook an additional 2 minutes longer.
- Blend the cornstarch, sugar and ginger with soy sauce, stir in vegetable stock; add to wok and cook until thickened.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until broccoli is just crisp-tender.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the broccoli, stir and serve over pasta, spaghetti squash or rice.
Very good! Using what I had on hand I used a 12 oz bag of fresh broccoli flowerettes and green onions. I used jarred minced ginger and sauteed it with the mushrooms and onion. I doubled the amount of sauce. I used two tablespoons of soy sauce. I really enjoyed this dish and will be making it again.
I thought this was delicious. The sauce is really good. I made as directed, except that I added a sliced red bell pepper with the broccoli, and I sprinkled toasted sesame seeds on top to serve. I will make this often, as we eat a lot of veggie stir fries here. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT6.
This had a lot of great vegetables, I do not like broccoli so I decreased the amout and added more mushrooms and water chestnuts. Also, added cauliflower and green onions. Comes together quite easily and the sauce is good. I do think next time I will increase the amount of garlic used. Made for ZWT 2008