Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simply delicious. Even my picky kids approved! I used black sesame seeds and it works out well. I think the white sesame seeds would offer a better color contrast in the dish. Frankly, I don't think the water chestnuts would be missed. Take care not to over cook, the veggies will be mushy and the chicken tough. Another great recipe from "The Big Book of Chicken" by Maryana Vollstedt. Great with my recipe for Thai Cucumber Salad Thai Cucumber Salad UPDATE: 5/11 I have made this several time since I first posted. Feel free to add mushrooms, pea pods, green beans, matchstick carrots or any of your favorite Asian friendly veggies.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil, sub. peanut oil, more as needed
- 44.37 ml sesame seeds
- 14.79 ml ginger, peeled, chopped
- 453.59 g chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 118.29 ml yellow onion, chopped 1-inch pieces
- 118.29 ml red bell pepper, 1-inch pieces
- 7.39 ml salt
- 113.39 g water chestnuts, course shop, approx. 1/2 can
- 78.07 ml hoisin sauce
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 9.85 ml rice wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 236.59 ml long grain white rice, cooked
- 59.14 ml green onion, sliced, with tender green stems for garnish
- In a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Add the sesame seeds and ginger to the oil and saute until fragrant and seeds golden, about 2 minutes *CAREFUL have a lid ready, it pops!
- Add the onions, bell pepper and salt. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, more oil if necessary and continue to saute until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add water chestnuts, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar. cook until flavors are well blended, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over rice and top with green onions.
Loved the ease of this recipe. Served over linguine instead of the suggested rice. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag. :)